Laughter makes you happy and relieves stress. If your crooked or extremely gapped teeth embarrass you, however, you may do your best to hold in laughter. When you’re already so self-conscious about your smile, the last thing you want to do is draw more attention to your mouth with obvious metal braces. Invisalign braces correct tooth alignment discreetly, and give you the freedom to laugh again.
The Amazing Benefits of Laughter
You may cover your mouth or avoid laughing as much as you would like because you don’t want anyone to see your misaligned teeth. But limiting yourself from laughing could lead to problems professionally, socially, personally, and mentally. And you won’t gain any benefits from the laughter, the sure-fire mood-enhancer.
Think about what you’re missing without enough laughter in your life:
- Reduced stress. Stress isn’t good for anyone. The bodily tension that stress creates can also lead to clenched teeth, which can cause TMJ, gum recession, and damage to your enamel, just to name a few oral health problems. Aligning your teeth often eliminates teeth grinding, and protects the rest of your teeth from the damage caused by TMJ. Straight teeth give you permission to laugh, and your muscles could relax for up to 45 minutes after a good belly laugh.
- Pain relief. It is well-documented that laughter releases endorphins. And endorphins create an overall sense of well-being. Sometimes, laughter can even temporarily relieve or minimize pain. A misaligned bite, however, can be painful. And a dental problem like this does not correct itself.
- Happier relationships. No one wants to spend all their time with a Debbie Downer. When you can enjoy a good laugh with others, especially at your own expense, you share a common ground with someone. Laughter can boost your relationship with your partner, friend, or coworker. Who doesn’t want to be known as the person who loves to laugh? Who wants crooked teeth to get in the way of stronger relationships?
- Increased immunity. Laughter can help pump up immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies. You will be more willing to laugh when your teeth are straight. So, in short, straight teeth can make you healthier.
- Weight loss. Laughter burns calories. Laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day can burn up to 40 calories. Might not sound like much, but this kind of daily calorie burn can lead to an annual weight loss of one to four pounds. Straight teeth that function properly also make it possible for you to eat all the chewy and crunchy proteins that contribute to a healthy diet.
Get Your Invisalign Smile Makeover
Feel like Invisalign could never help the smile problem you’re dealing with? Know this: Invisalign can correct overbites, underbites, overcrowding, gaps, and crossbites. Invisalign is not a quick fix – it can take about a year for the final results – but it is a permanent fix (if you wear your retainers afterward as instructed).
Plus, you can pump up your Invisalign smile makeover with a cosmetic dentistry enhancement like professional teeth whitening. Whiter teeth? Straight teeth? You won’t be able to stop laughing. Get on the fast track to an aligned smile and a happier life. Visit Dr. Carole Sherrod Jewell at Red Bank Dentistry to talk about whether you are a good candidate for Invisalign.