Maintain Healthy Teeth and Gums with Regular Teeth Cleanings
by Dr. Carole Sherrod Jewell, DMD, Red Bank, New Jersey Dentist
Dental Exams & Cleanings
At your initial dental visit, your dentist will perform a complete exam. Your dentist and dental hygienist will include all of the following when you visit for regular check-ups:
- Diagnostic x-rays: These x-rays are essential for detecting tooth decay, tumors, and cysts, as well as to monitor bone loss.
- Evaluation for periodontal disease: The dentist will check gums and bone for signs of gum disease.
- Teeth exam: Special dental instruments will be used to check for decay on all tooth surfaces.
- Oral cancer screening: The gums, tongue, throat, lips, tissues, neck and face are evaluated for any signs of oral cancer.
- Restoration exam: Restorations from past dental work, including crowns and fillings, are checked to see if they need to be replaced.
Professional Dental Cleaning
In addition to the exam, a professional dental cleaning is performed by a registered dental hygienist. The cleaning includes the following:
- Plaque removal: Plaque is the build-up of saliva, food debris and living bacteria that form a film on the teeth. The bacteria produce toxins that cause the gums to become inflamed, which is how periodontal disease begins.
- Tartar removal: Tartar is hardened plaque (calculus) that has been on the tooth long enough for it to be firmly attached. It can exist both above and below the gum line. Special dental instruments are needed in order to remove the calculus.
- Teeth polishing: Any stain and plaque not removed during the cleaning is removed during this process.